MEPIS may be going Ubuntu

Randy Gloden sounder at microbabble.com
Sun Feb 12 03:31:10 GMT 2006

"you want it to be *more* usable for one class of uses that
require non-free software."

Mako, this *one* "class" don't even know the meaning of the word free/non-free.  They have never ever heard the phrases "Free as in Beer" or "Free as in Liberty."

I would understand your sentiment if you are only trying to win over Gentoo, Mandrake, or anyone else already steeped in the Linux way of doing things.  Mako, I didn't write the Debian Bible like you did, and I most definately do not have a fraction of your knowledge in things Linux, however, one thing I do know for a fact, is how many users outside the "Linux class" react to the  Linux experience and the "sermon" I give trying to explain how the steeper learning curve will be worth it.  I know these things because I *"am"* involved in trying to expand our community.

Maybe my approach is wrong.  If they don't instinctively dive in to the documentation, I should tell them to get their tails back over to XP, because, often that is where their heading anyway.  Don't you understand that many in the *largest *"class" of users don't even know what a Wiki is?  If I only passed out Ubuntu CDs to the Linux crowd, then this wouldn't be an issue.  Instead, I go to the potential users house, show them how to change their repositories, how to tweak this setting and that.  Then I look into their faces and see the helpless look that screams "Oh crap, things don't just work with this OS!"  Sure, give me any Windows savvy Nerd and he will eat up the challege.  Heck, give that guy Slackware and he will do fine, if that is the "class" you are trying to target.

And, more usuable for one class does not mean *less* usable for another necessarily.

I didn't intend to throw out any flamebait.  I was just expressing some frustration.  So if I'm in a "class" by myself, so be it.  Maybe a more productive angle would be to find out how to make these non-free (or non-legal) things free/legal.

-------	Randy Gloden
	www.microbabble.com