I may build a new box for the Holidays...

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Thu Dec 21 00:34:02 GMT 2006

Op donderdag 21-12-2006 om 00:58 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Vincent
Trouilliez:
> > Hm, most of the time I prefer LCD over CRT, but Samsung also has some
> > really good LCD screens...  :)
>
> Yeah, maybe I am too critical. The one thing I hate about LCD's is the
> backlight that makes the picture look uneven and changes looks with
> every tiny little move you make. With a CRT, the pic looks
> perfectly even, exactly the same no matter how you look at it, whatever
> the distance and angle.

Most modern LCDs have some tolerance to you "moving", but it's true that
CRTs are _much_ better at that.  OTOH I love the crisp & stable picture
an LCD gives.

Oh, and the distance/angle problems aren't caused by the backlight, but
by the way LCD screens work: colors are layers on top of each other,
which means that at a not-90° angle you look "between" those layers
instead of through them.

> Other problem is the "dead pixel" issue. I would
> not consider an LCD unless it comes with a lifetime zero dead pixel
> guarantee, and very few manufacturers (if any) do that as of today.

I got a 14-day no-dead-(sub)-pixel guarantee on my laptop at an
additional price.  (Most of the time pixels are either faulty, which
shows immediately or after a couple of hours, or they are okay for
years.)

> Oh, yes, I nearly forgot about Cherry ! That keyboard looks exactly
> like the kind I am looking for ! simple/classic design, ivory
> colour, excellent all round quality... they even say it has extra large
> keys.. perfect for my big fingers ! :o) The only problem is the
> avaibility in France. My usual on-line shop (www.ldlc.com) doesn't
> carry any Cherry keyboard. I went to a price comparator which found
> "some" Cherry K/B, but from obscure web sites I don't want to trust, and
> as luck would have it none of them offer the particular model I am
> interested in anyway ! :-/
>
> But thanks for reminding me of Cherry, as soon as I have some money, I
> will try to source the model I like ! :o)
> Good hardware like this is hard to find, but is worth the trouble and
> price, and lasts long...

Well, I bought it at a local computer shop...  :)

Cherry also has a "linux keyboard" with the "Windows logo key" replaced
by a "Tux key" -- maybe we (or Canonical?) should ask them to create an
Ubuntu keyboard?  ;-)

> Now if you have a source for good mice ;-).

Cherry has some mice too, but I've never used them, so no idea about
their quality...

--
Jan Claeys