Seriously Impressive: Sun Java Studio Creator - Ubuntu's killer app?

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Tue Dec 12 14:46:32 GMT 2006

On 12/12/06, Chanchao <custom at freenet.de> wrote:
> Possibly this is even the 'easiest' kind of programming / developing you
> could get into on Ubuntu?

Not true, python is *much* easier than Java.

> And when you get proficient with it you're
> really at the high-end of commercial enterprise application development.

I've met a lot of commercial enterprise application Java developers,
some of which have been working with Java for years, but very few of
which I would consider "high-end".

> Compare this with Python, where there is no such route to becoming an
> enterprise application developer after mastering Python.

This is not true.  I know of many companies selling "high-end"
python-based products.  The company I work for, for example, has a
python-based product that they charge some clients around £100k per
quarter for (although this covers much more than just the software
licence)!  We don't hire anything less than high-end enterprise
application developers.  In fact, when I joined, I was surprised to
actually recognise most of the names in the engineering team.  There
are indeed good jobs out there for good python coders.  And Canonical
hires python coders too!

It's like when people try to tell me that Linux isn't mainstream.
What a croc!  Look at any large corporation -- banks, telcos,
governments, etc -- and they all use Linux *extensively*.  I'm
currently based at a client that has over 4000 linux machines in
London alone!

Pete