Epistemology etc. (was Re: Back to Windows... )

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Dec 6 10:58:18 GMT 2006

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:11:08 +1000
Nikolai <psalmos at swissinfo.org> wrote:

> > 	"Stupidity is brief and artless, but intelligence shifts and
> > shuffles and hides itself" - Ivan , (ibid)
>
> I can assure you it doesn't sound as dramatic in Russian :-) especially
> when you read the whole paragraph.

:-)

Indeed, Alyosha wants to know why Ivan began "as stupidly as you could"

Ivan replies "Why, first of all, to prove to you that I'm a Russian:
Russian discussions on these subjects are all conducted as stupidly as
possible. And secondly, the stupider, the more to the point. The stupider,
the clearer. Stupidity is brief and artless, but intelligence shifts and
shuffles and hides itself. "

.. and so on. No doubt the subtleties are lost in translation ;-)

<joking>

Emails are by necessity "brief and artless" , a bit like pat answers
from catechisms  ;-)

But I haven't the excuse of needing to prove myself a Russian *grin*

</joking>

Peter