Most offensive thing I've seen all day

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Fri Aug 4 03:46:10 BST 2006

Peter Whittaker wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-08 at 16:51 -0400, Patrick McFarland wrote that
>
>> http://www.christianubuntu.com was somehow offensive....
>>

> How is this offensive? I found it surprising (and tacky but that's just
> the knee-jerk reaction based on my upbringing and unresolved personal
> issues, and certainly no fault of theirs), but not offensive.
>
> It would become offensive only if Christian Ubuntu were somehow to
> become a direct tool of promulgation of a particular religious or
> spiritual philosophy that was at odds with "humanity to others" (and not
> merely used as a tool for making promulgatory (sp?) material).
>
> So long as the Christian Ubuntu community doesn't exclude specific
> Christian communities, or target other religious or non-religious
> communities, then I don't have a problem with it....
>
> Trademark issues definitely belong on -legal, though.
>
> pww
Maybe those 'offended' by the idea should take a look through the
following link:

It appears to simply be like a customised Ubuntu aimed at Christians and
Christian organisations. In the first post of the above forum thread,
the developer says "I plan to add more Christian software and make some
additional changes, without changing the basics of Ubuntu.", so the idea
is to provide an Ubuntu specifically packaged with software useful to
Christians, or as someone else put it: "It's about choice. And,
probably, to have a nicer Ubuntu version to present to Christian
computer users."

Not all Christians are technical folk.

Do not go disgracing the Ubuntu philosophy of humanity by bringing
prejudice into the equation.

When someone takes an initiative such as this developer has done, then
kudos to the dev, I say. While this variation of Ubuntu will not be of
any use to me, to the worldwide Christian population, it will be. Don't
forget: (According to Wikipedia
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christians>) it is estimated that there
are around 2.1 billion Christians in the world making up 33% of the
world population. That's a heck of a lot of potential Ubuntu users!

--
Sincerely
Melissa Draper

http://www.meldraweb.com