Interesting article about "What Linux is doing wrong on the desktop"

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Fri Apr 28 04:23:33 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 10:10 +0700, Chanchao wrote:

> "OEMs fundamentally dislike Linux because it doesn't sport a track
> record of encouraging users to upgrade their PCs in reliable
> three-year cycles the way Windows does

Well now... Is the person who wrote that article (or quoted in the
article) actually building and selling computers??  Because it seems to
me that currently, very few (non corporate) customers are buying new
fancy computers in the knowledge that Windows Vista is a couple of
months away.

Even more, I wonder if anyone can possibly begin to describe how
hardware vendors felt when Microsoft came up with the cracking "You know
what, we'll release Vista *JUST* after Christmas. :)  Ho ho ho.. joke
from Redmond.. :)

If I was a computer builder I wouldn't like that cash-flow dip one bit.
This effect is far far less siginificant for Ubuntu systems, where the
next update isn't not only ALWAYS less than 6 months away, it's also
completely free so not much reason to 'wait'.

Cheers,
Chanchao