Software patents [Was:Re: Oracle intersted in buying Ubunutu]

Paul O'Malley ompaul at eircom.net
Thu Apr 20 16:00:07 BST 2006

Alexander Jacob Tsykin wrote:

>How can ti stifle innovation? If all the established ideas are patented you
>have to innovate. If anything, it encouraged innovation. What it does not
>encourage is free software in general. But ultimately, this is not the
>problem of the company. What you are saying is that somebody should make less

Hi,

Before I start let me say this, I believe that this thread needs to die.
I will not support or defend anything below, replying to it does not
mean you win, there is no win in this situation. As I see it software
patents are a government granted monopoly in the software space, and
they have provide no economic good.

Who found that, the FED in the US found that.

Here is a rather long audio where the man from Microsoft got it wrong:
http://www.archive.org/details/IfsoSaving_Europe_from_Software_Patents

At the end of the day, monopolies guard their space. They see that as
their job.
However walls to free and fair competition need to be minimised and this
is one of those things.

If your right then we should extend the monopoly fully and fly the state
flag over the door to every business and submit to a state monopoly! Ooh
that business model does not work.

Mmm no I'm keeping the ball and going home, I have a patent on it.
Anyone who tries to continue the game will have to pay an access fee of
twice the level of the income they generate in their lifetime.

:-)

Paul