apps choice for Ubuntu and installation choices [Was: cross-platform virus]

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Sat Apr 15 17:14:23 BST 2006

Op za, 15-04-2006 te 15:30 +0200, schreef Alan McKinnon:
> On Friday 14 April 2006 17:30, Jan Claeys wrote:
> > Wrong, [GnuCash is] pretty useless for people owning their own business in
> > Belgium, The Netherlands, probably many more EU countries and maybe
> > also in several other countries around the world that require
> > specific rules to be followed for accounting...
>
> What kind of things would those be? Things like tax rates?
>
> I know that here in South Africa bookkeepers need accounting software
> customized for this market. Without tax rules built in, they end up
> with a bunch of accounts & ledgers that balance and then have to work
> out all the tax stuff themselves. Which makes the package a whole lot
> less useful than it could be.

Of course tax rules & the lack of support for things like EDIVAT (X-400
based electronic tax declaration) are some of the problems.

But GnuCash also allows you to edit things (e.g. invoices) after they
have been "booked", which is plain illegal for accounting software you
want to use over here.  (Accounting software has to be "approved" by the
government.)

--
Jan Claeys