"Download & Install" vs "Repositories & Synaptic" and the need for a new URI [Was: Re: Going forward [Re: Automatix?]]

Sasha Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 00:59:57 BST 2006

Jason Taylor wrote:
>> What's missing is a good search function that understands more than one
>> single word. Peopele want to search for "audio cd burn", "mp3 gnome" or
>> things like that. At the time only apt-cache can do this. IMHO if
>> there's an easy to use, powerful search function and an easy tom find
>> "search for softwere" menu entry people will use it as there they get
>> better results as with google.
>
> What we're saying is why not just use google?

It seems to be a lot to expect from somebody who has little technical
knowledge to look up programs in google and then look them up in
synaptic, considering they likely don't know what synaptic is. Speaking
of easily installing programs though, is there some reason why we can't
include wine int eh abse install. A lot of people install linux, then
get distressed when they can't install their favourite program. Alost a
wine-ia32 for amd64 would be nice.

Sasha