Linode

dave dave at rodrig.com
Mon Sep 26 16:13:59 CDT 2005

I'd looked into linode, but there weren't any virtual machines
available at the time, so I looked for an alternate solution and
stumbled upon unixshell.com. They have a similar offering, but use Xen
rather than UML.

Unixshell's $15 option (which is what I have) compares favorably to
linode's $20 offering.

same amount of memory: 64mb
6gb disk space vs 3 gb
64gb monthly transfer vs 50gb
free setup vs $10

The only issue I've had was the lead time was measured in days (2 days
or so, if memory serves), but I'm an impatient bastard. After I got up
and running, it's been golden.

As a bonus, they offer Hoary images, saves you the trouble of a
dist-upgrade, until next month, that is.

If anyone has any comments, good or bad, as to how unixshell compares
to linode, I'd love to hear them.

dave