Shawn McMahon smcmahon at eiv.com
Fri Oct 21 10:05:54 CDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 11:10:33PM -0400, Eric Dunbar said:

> And, his conclusion was rather amusing:
> "The naming scheme sucks and Ubuntu is a neat system. And, in
> conclusion, I'd like to tell you that the naming scheme sucks."

See, the thing about problems that are based on personal taste is, they
can't be wrong.  They can't be argued, they can't be overcome with
logic.

If a lot of people think the naming convention will be a problem with
corporate adoption, we really ought to listen to them.  The only point
of contention is whether or not they're a significant fraction; no
logical argument against their position holds any water.  That is,
unless you want to have that discussion individually with every
potential user, face-to-face.  The one thing a salesman does not want to
do is walk into the meeting and start defending the name of his product.
Ask somebody about how much trouble Coca-Cola had to go to when looking
for the right Chinese characters for their product.  Shopkeepers who
tried directly translating the sounds often ended up with "bite the
wax tadpole" or "female horse fastened with wax" before the company
issued an official name that translated to "allow the mouth to be
able to rejoice".  Names are important to product adoption.

If you don't care about corporate adoption, of course, the current names
are peachy.  That's a valid position, and I don't mean to trivialize it.

--
Shawn McMahon  | When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new
EIV Consulting | bicycle.  Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work