Ubuntu in the other news? [old]

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Thu Oct 13 05:28:40 CDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 01:24:22PM +0000, I wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 02:08:29PM +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> > >Jeff, just for the record -- I've recently seen quite
> > >embarrassing comments regarding Ubuntu 5.04 quality and
> > >usability from one seasoned Python hacker I know by mail
> > It would be good to get that feedback on record in the bug
> > tracker so we can figure out if it's bugs, poor documentation
> > or just a misunderstanding.
> I'll try to provoke him (you know, kind of people who would
> more easily do something after betting they can't :).  At least
> we expect that behaviour from our distro's users, right?

Seems he's blogged the rants:
http://maryniuk.net/content/blog/index/bo/cblog/daylist_html?year=2005&month=10&day=7

PS: frankly, there's a very significant grain of salt in whatever
praise to GTK+ or Python software to me.  As a humble maintainer,
I've perceived that g* or py* problems when upstream changes
versions are quite in order, and the only pyg* package I've been
maintaining for years -- solfege -- finally got orphaned since
it was a combo.

The wondering was rather quiet but once upon a train a colleague
told me exactly the same observations _and_ why it's so -- in
short, "because emulating change-eccapsulating things in C is
seldom enough and most people don't bother for the breakage they
introduce" IIRC.

I don't know how much of a truth it is but Eugene is highly
experienced and skilled developer, and me... 's just a humble
maintainer and project manager. :)

Not to flame things that were written by people who decided
that the code at least be free but making something free, we
might as well end up being responsible for thinking it over
_in advance_.

Once I thought a stable API was a definite plus.  Having piles
of garbage there is usually minus though.  Recent OpenSSL vulns
have just reminded that having explicitly unstable API (not even
ABI) is plain PITA.

In the ideal world there's no software at all, probably....

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>