online article: Should Linux vendors think differently?

Duncan Anderson duncangareth at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 08:13:08 CDT 2005

Eric Dunbar wrote:

>I read the article and must say that it's not an assessment that's
>that far off the mark, _currently_ (maybe Breezy will fix that for
>him).
><snip>
>On 10/11/05, Daniel Robitaille <robitaille at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>

>>http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;781250180;fp;16;fpid;0
>>
>>Ubuntu has a very brief presence in the article: "and Ubuntu -- my other
>>favorite desktop Linux -- has yet to produce a version that will even
>>install on my home PC."
>>

>>I wonder what are the technical problem with the author's computer.
>>
>><snip>

Greetings

I have to say that this guy has a point or two. I have found that Ubuntu
does not like several of the machines I've tried it on recently. I dare
say that other systems would also have been problematic too. I am not
trying to slag off Ubuntu, but I think it does falter somewhat in the
autodetection of cheaper graphics hardware, among other things.

I can't give you any really concrete examples right now, but this has
been my experience since I first tried Ubuntu. I have to say this,
though: It HAS installed perfectly on several other machines.

Unfortunately, in certain cases I have had to use Mandrake or SUSe, both
of which have a certain "proprietariness" about them, which I don't
like. If Ubuntu could be as adept at detecting hardware as
Mandrake/Mandriva, I would probably use it every time.

Since most hardware is specifically designed to support a well known
brand of neocolonialist spyware, getting any form of Linux to install
without a hitch is quite an achievement.

cheers
Duncan