South African Bandwidth

ptpare ptpare at lantic.net
Sun Oct 9 07:31:07 CDT 2005

On 10/9/2005, "john levin" <john at technolalia.org> wrote:

>Thanks for the information.
>
>In this context, I see that the cds and freedom toaster are especially
>important.
>
>John

Fortunatley the University of Pretoria does have a toaster because for
broadband access to the internet, departments are charged R2.00 (US$ 0.31
)  per megabyte during office hours and R1.00 (US$0.16)per megabyte in
the evenings and
over weekends. One can sometimes ask the IT department to mirror certain
sites  and then at least academic departments don't pay anything for
the internal
bandwidth used. Many Linux distributions are mirrored at ftp.up.ac.za and
the
Open Office mirror seems to be updated very reguarly.

Unfortunately it is only the Ubuntu ISOs that are mirrored and so one can
not
use apt-get to update or upgrade ones system without incurring these high
bandwidth costs. If all the repositories  could be available on a DVD
from a
toaster this would make things considerably easier. Also if the software
on the
toasters were regularly updated by satellite links, then this would be
another
way of people being able to stay up to date.  Of course the questions
remains as to who would authorise, maintain and pay for such a link.

For private internet use, GPRS access on cell phones has come down in
price
considerably and we now pay US$ 0.31 per megabyte on the Vodacom network.
This makes it comparable in price and performance to dial up access via
the Telkom company and an ISP. The problem then is having to send ones
email via a web based email program as neither the University nor many
ISP's will, for security reasons, allow one to send mail from outside
via their SMTP

Phillip