Benj. Mako Hill mako at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 21 10:22:57 CST 2005

<quote who="John" date="Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 07:42:53PM +0800">
> >It's not free software.
>
> Neither is the HAL for my atheros wireless card that works in Breezy
> Neither is the firmware for my prism54 wireless network card, and that
> works in Warty.

Fireware and drivers have a special place in restricted and there are
finely worded exceptions for this. Not all of us are thrilled about
that (I think there's a stronger case for firmware but am not happy
about either) but they are specific exceptions. We've also stated that
we're willing to consider other types of licenses for fonts and
documentation in main.

> Besides, not being free software doesn't prevent the provision of a
> package to acquire it by download.

That's correct and non-free software that allows for the
redistribution of a package are (often) in the multiverse ghetto. If
the software under discussion allowed for this, that would be an
option. It doesn't so it's not.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako at ubuntu.com
http://mako.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS