Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Nov 9 19:25:15 CST 2005

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Ubuntu indeed has non-free software, but it can _still_ only include that
> software which is free to download (ie, perhaps not "libre" but
> unencumbered by downloading restrictions - if the license says something
> to the effect that you're given a one-time, non-transferrable, license to
> download "X", then Ubuntu can't include it).
>
> That may not include the Skype software, as I can't get to the skype.com
> site from here, and I can't find a complete license agreement, but from
> what I can see, it doesn't look Ubuntu-compatible to me.

Now that I've found the Skype EULA, it's clear that it can't be distributed
by Ubuntu without a change in license.  Under the general license, you
can't distribute it at all, and if you agree to the distribution license
you can only distribute it on CD or DVD - and without any other software.
--
derek