online banking and strategic Ubuntu upgrade opportunities

Scott angrykeyboarder at angrykeyboarder.com
Wed Dec 21 09:21:26 GMT 2005

Bizubu wrote:
> Some financial institutions have posted notices that soon customers will
> no longer be permitted to do online banking via windows98 systems.  This
> seems like a good opportunity to help a lot of people escape to the
> enlightened domain of Free Software.
>
> If an official representative of Canonical would contact the right
> people within the banks, some may see the light, and realize how many of
> the ms-headaches are cured by choosing Ubuntu as an upgrade path.  It'd
> be a very significant accomplishment if a few major banks would endorse
> Ubuntu.
>
> As a starting point, there is a table of banks & browsers (not
> rigorously up to date) at www.starnix.com/banks-n-browsers.html

The timing of this message couldn't have been any better. Just yesterday
I' d noted my bank passed the "any browser I threw at it" test, with
flying colors. I even contemplated emailing the webmaster w/a thank you.
  But then I know most webmaster emails end up in /dev/null as a rule.

But it was nice to see they passed my tests.   Now if only busier sites
like Yahoo! (which runs on FreeBSD) could pass the same test...

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com