solution?

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Fri Dec 16 10:18:55 GMT 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 09:03:55PM +0000, Martin J Hooper wrote:
> Same here - I use mostly KDE when I use Linux.  Having tried
> Gnome I find that it is not as configurable as I would like.

Maybe someone tells the GNOME usability kids the magic keywords
"user level"?  It's powerful approach invented quite long ago
(New Deal's GeoWorks AFAIR) which could resolve this knot.

It could be like, a single setting (maybe even not doable via GUI
at its default "n00b" level, just CLI or after e.g. a year of
successful progress with a system) which would allow for the
"Advanced..." button to appear at the next level where it's
appropriate, and just stick e.g. another tab into dialogs
at yet higher level.

This way, developers wouldn't have to live in flame ghetto for
that matter, being able to use proper features but not overwhelm
corporate users vendors care for (and hobby developers should not
have this requirement as a *must* IMHO).

PS: maybe I've already tried to communicate this message here
(not willing to get onto yet another list for just that matter)...

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>