Announcing Ubuntu Below Zero Conference

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at videotron.ca
Wed Aug 24 09:45:55 CDT 2005

Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> Canonical is proud to announce the third Ubuntu conference! Most
> people who made it to Sydney and Mataró can vouch for the fact that it
> was an intense, productive and fun experience for everyone.
>
> Here are the things you need to know:
>
>  --> What: Ubuntu Below Zero
>  --> Where: Montreal, Canada
>  --> When: 30 Oct - 10 Nov 2005 (important schedule details on the wiki)
>  --> Who: Open to the Public

Great !  This is happening right in my backyard (I'm from Quebec City).
  You can count on me for being there, at least on the Love Day.  I am
currently forwarding the annoucement to everybody I know like crazy.

Did you guys knew that we are organizing a large provincial event right
after this conference, from November 12th to 20 ?  Basically, all the
Free Software activist organize local event (InstallFest, conference,
etc) during the week, and we try to get some media coverage. It's the
second year we organize this event, and we try to rock the boat.  See
http://sqil.info/ for more info.

Also, the MIS department of the Université Laval will be holding a
course on the social aspect of Free Software next semester.  The course,
"Logiciels Libres et Sociétés", is available to anybody interested (not
just student of Laval), in classes or online.  The bi-weekly debates
will be webcasted, with podcast available.  One very interesting aspect
of the course is that students are required to actually *use* Free
software, even if it is just OO.org and Firefox on Windows.  My LUG
(www.linuq.org) will be organizing the peer-support network for
students, plus Linux InstallFest and workshop.  I expect to be
distributing many, many Ubuntu CD there ... (thanks ShipIt and Mako !)
See http://www.fsa.ulaval.ca/cours/plans/2005A/SIO22893_1215.pdf for the
syllabus (in French).

All in all, the next few months promise to be very intense for the
Québec FLOSS activists.  The announce of UbuntuBelowZero could not be
more timely.  You guys made my day !

Etienne Goyer