oneline article: "Debian Alliance on The Horizon"

Ed Cogburn edcogburn at hotpop.com
Fri Aug 19 10:17:42 CDT 2005

Jeff Waugh wrote:

> <quote who="Ed Cogburn">
>
>> Canonical doesn't have to support KDE, I actually understand why
>> Canonical is favoring your baby over KDE right now, but don't pretend
>> that allowing the Kubuntu people a few hundred megabytes of storage space
>> in Ubuntu's
>> repo is the same as "official support".  It isn't.
>
> Ed, taking potshots is not helpful to the discussion

Oh come on, Jeff, you read Matt's response, he doesn't seem to think I'm
throwing potshots.  I actually meant it when I said 'no offense'.

> - particularly given
> my incredibly vocal support of Kubuntu as *the* KDE distribution to
> present KDE at its very best.
>
> Matt explained what KDE-in-main means, in terms of support commitment from
> the Ubuntu community (and Canonical). I'll explain another side of it...
>
> The fact that it's Kubuntu, a project dedicated to making the KDE
> experience totally rock, and not "a bunch of guys maintaining KDE in
> Ubuntu" is very important. Ubuntu is built to be rebranded, repurposed and
> retargeted. That is why you'll see projects such as Mono and PostgreSQL
> using our (very easy to adapt) LiveCD to promote their projects. That's
> why you'll see projects such as Kubuntu and Edubuntu using Ubuntu as a
> platform, but focusing on a different goal or user profile. In Spain,
> you'll see Guadalinex and Molinux modifying and rebranding Ubuntu for the
> needs of their local government and users.
>
> You may not see it just yet, but our strong support of Kubuntu's
> *different and independent vision* gives it more strength than "KDE in
> Ubuntu" would ever have. :-)

I agree with all that Jeff, but you already knew from the last discussion
what 'we' think of as "official support" and its not the same as what
Canonical is currently providing (and that's understandable).  There's no
point in continually reminding us that KDE is in Canonical's repository, we
already know that, but its not the same as having equal standing with
GNOME, and that's what folks like John and I tend to think of as "official
support".  Let's just agree that we aren't using the same definition for
"official support" and let it go at that.  :)