oneline article: "Debian Alliance on The Horizon"

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 18 16:06:29 CDT 2005

<quote who="Ed Cogburn">

> Canonical doesn't have to support KDE, I actually understand why Canonical
> is favoring your baby over KDE right now, but don't pretend that allowing
> the Kubuntu people a few hundred megabytes of storage space in Ubuntu's
> repo is the same as "official support".  It isn't.

Ed, taking potshots is not helpful to the discussion - particularly given my
incredibly vocal support of Kubuntu as *the* KDE distribution to present KDE
at its very best.

Matt explained what KDE-in-main means, in terms of support commitment from
the Ubuntu community (and Canonical). I'll explain another side of it...

The fact that it's Kubuntu, a project dedicated to making the KDE experience
totally rock, and not "a bunch of guys maintaining KDE in Ubuntu" is very
important. Ubuntu is built to be rebranded, repurposed and retargeted. That
is why you'll see projects such as Mono and PostgreSQL using our (very easy
to adapt) LiveCD to promote their projects. That's why you'll see projects
such as Kubuntu and Edubuntu using Ubuntu as a platform, but focusing on a
different goal or user profile. In Spain, you'll see Guadalinex and Molinux
modifying and rebranding Ubuntu for the needs of their local government and
users.

You may not see it just yet, but our strong support of Kubuntu's *different
and independent vision* gives it more strength than "KDE in Ubuntu" would
ever have. :-)

- Jeff

--
GNOME Summit: October 8th-10th              http://live.gnome.org/Boston2005

   "I think of [commercial Open Source development] as being the biggest
     private investment in public works in decades." - Andrew Tridgell