oneline article: "Debian Alliance on The Horizon"

Shawn McMahon smcmahon at eiv.com
Fri Aug 12 10:10:13 CDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 10:15:25AM -0400, Ed Cogburn said:

> What were you going from and to?  If you're talking about Kubuntu, you don't
> need a dist-upgrade for that, just 'apt-get install kubuntu-desktop'.  If
> you're referring to going from Hoary to Breezy, or Warty to Hoary, then
> yes, upgrades like that are almost always messy.  In my experience,
> dist-upgrades in Debian were never exactly smooth either, but as I alluded
> to at the first, it all depends on what you're going from and to.

My experience has been the same.  In fact, for some bizarre reason, the
smoothest "apt-get dist-upgrade" I've ever done was from RedHat 7.1 to
7.3.  Go figure.

--
Shawn McMahon      | On a normal ascii line, the only safe condition to
EIV Consulting     | detect is a 'BREAK' - everything else having been