oneline article: "Debian Alliance on The Horizon"

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at videotron.ca
Tue Aug 9 07:48:44 CDT 2005

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Check the recent Ubuntu Foundation announcement... 6.04 will have a five
> year support lifecycle. Quick hint: Desktops don't need five year support
> lifecycles. :-)

Or so you think.  Witness all the Win9x still being used in many
organizations today, in 2005.    I had been a support monkey many moons
ago, and I can testify that desktop OS upgrade is straining for both the
IT staff, as it's troublesome and time-consuming, and for the poor
end-users, who have to adapt to a new working environement.  That's why
it's constantly pushed back, especially in smaller organisation that do
not have the staff and expertise to automate large-scale upgrade.

A stable desktop platform is precisely what is needed for Linux on the
desktop to make any inroad in the corporate world (where, you know,
human beings work).  RHEL WS and Novell Linux Desktop where good
candidate for this, now I am happy to see we will get a community
alternative in Ubuntu 6.04.  Cheers !