ubuntu cd handout at an ict event

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Mon Apr 18 22:20:55 CDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 03:17:37 +0100, Paul Sladen wrote:
> Off-topic:- One of the things I talked about afterwards with somebody else
> was a 'kickstart online' generator, allowing the user to go through a
> web-interface selecting what they wanted/didn't want, selecting IP and
> user setup and being presented at the end either with a kickstart file to
> put on a floppy, or a dynamically generated .iso.  (He'd just developed a
> project to do the former for a distributor, allowing their customer not
> just to select RAM/HDD configuration but also pre-configure the OS).

We do something similar at work, with a web frontend to our [(evil
proprietary) Solaris] Jumpstart server which creates and serves a file for
the (nfs-based) install process to find.

Another idea perhaps is to have *all* of your kickstart configuration files
on the dynamically-generated CD image, selected either manually or by MAC
address or other unique hardware ID.  Just so you don't have to burn a
seperate disk for each box.

Pete