ubuntu cd handout at an ict event

Paul Sladen sounder at paul.sladen.org
Mon Apr 18 21:17:37 CDT 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> I don't think we have good stats on live cd usage. I'm interested if you
> guys think a live-cd-based installer (boot the live cd, like it, say
> "install" and it does so) would be popular, as that's one area we could
> devote resources.

I've been at the Linspire 5.0 Press Release do this morning with Michael
Robertson (here in London);  Linspire is a single CD with LiveCD and
installer on the same disk.  Lots of ''10minute install'' talk so I'm
guessing they might be just copying the cloop structure and patching it up.

For further comparison, they're tackling the Language-pack issue by having
separate CDs (eg. the one I have here is an en_GB one, not en_US and these
even includes having new voice-overs for the introduction/demos.

Other than that, Roger (who was next to me) only got as far as the ''I do
not agree with this license'' screen as it looked a bit scary ;-)

Off-topic:- One of the things I talked about afterwards with somebody else
was a 'kickstart online' generator, allowing the user to go through a
web-interface selecting what they wanted/didn't want, selecting IP and user
setup and being presented at the end either with a kickstart file to put on
a floppy, or a dynamically generated .iso.  (He'd just developed a project
to do the former for a distributor, allowing their customer not just to
select RAM/HDD configuration but also pre-configure the OS).

	-Paul
--
I didn't know it snowed here!  London, GB