CD image layout proposal

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Tue Sep 14 12:29:32 CDT 2004

We need to do a slight reorganization of the cdimage tree for tomorrow's
preview release, mainly to make it easy to find the preview release and
to make it easy for mirror sites to rsync it without too much
complication.

Some constraints:

  * Tomorrow's preview release needs to be easy to find if you start
    from the top level of /cdimage/.

  * Mirror sites have to be able to rsync the released CD images for
    this and all future releases fairly easily, without going to lots of
    effort to avoid getting stuff like daily builds. Ideally, this means
    that daily builds are somewhat distinct. (As far as Ubuntu is
    concerned, we probably don't want to be doing daily builds for more
    than one release at once anyway.)

  * Locations like /cdimage/daily/current/ and /cdimage/sounder-test/8/
    have already been publicized, so we can't break them straight away.

  * The directories can't be called 'warty' etc., since that sorts
    badly, although we can have symlinks.

I see two obvious alternatives:

1)

  cdimage/
    4.10/                       all public Warty releases
      preview/
        install/                normal install CD, like Sounder releases
        live/                   live CD, Morphix-derived
      final/
        install/
        live/
    5.04/                       all public Hoary releases
      beta/                     Array CD releases will probably go here
      preview/
        install/
        live/
      final/
        install/
        live/
    daily/
    <random other stuff>

2)

  cdimage/
    releases/
      4.10/
      5.04/
      warty -> 4.10
      hoary -> 5.04
    daily/
    experimental/
      <random other stuff, maybe in a sub>

Number 1 has the benefit that the releases are right at the top level.
On the other hand, it's more awkward to mirror all of them. With number
2 it's easy to mirror all releases and the top level is clean, but the
structure is deeper.

Opinions?

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]