20040906.1 PPC install problems

Dave Miller justdave at canonical.com
Mon Sep 6 16:11:21 CDT 2004

Got a new hard drive in my iBook, and one of the first things I did was
try to get Warty installed on it.  Downloaded the 20040906.1 daily CD
image off the ftp site, and had a go at it.  I'm guessing (hoping?)
there may have just been some things missing in it because it was built
at a bad time or something, but I was not successful in getting it to
install.

During the initial install, there were several places where there was a
long pause with no discernible action except the CD-ROM drive whirring,
and nothing but a blue screen.  A few of these lasted 20 seconds or so,
one lasted a minute.  I didn't get down exactly when each of these
happened (I should have kept track, but didn't think anything of it
until later).  If this concerns anyone, I can try it again and write
them down.

At network detection time, it asked me to choose between built-in
ethernet and AirPort (good: doesn't list eth1394).  I picked airport.
It proceeded to tell me it couldn't find a network, and prompted for an
ESSID.  (My network has WEP, apparently that makes it not autodetect?).
I entered the ESSID, and it went on it's merry way and informed me the
DHCP failed (bad: since the network has WEP, it should have prompted for
a WEP key, and there's no way anything else would succeed at this point
without one).  Since DHCP failed, it prompted me for network setup.  I
don't use the DHCP for this computer anyway, since I have internal DNS
on my LAN and it has a name, so entered in all the IP information.  It
prompted me for a hostname (I entered "ibook").  It did not prompt me
for a domain name.  It now appears to be "ibook.localdomain".

After the first reboot, it stalled for 2 minutes at "Syncing clock with
pool.ntp.org", then reported that it failed. (This is because of the
still-missing WEP key).

I see "switching console to charset ISO-8859-1" go by on the screen (the
LCD blinks a couple times while this is up).  I thought we were doing
UTF-8 by default?

I still get tons of "device-mapper" errors, but it still reports [ok]
when the initscript for it finishes.

I then got prompted that it couldn't locate the CD.  After some poking
around, I discovered the installer had created a symlink to /dev/hdc
from /dev/cdrom, and there was no /dev/hdc.  I did a "modprobe ide-scsi"
and the CD-ROM showed up on /dev/sr0.  I then fixed the symlink to point
at /dev/sr0, and went back to the installer, which proceeds to scan the
package list on the CD.  It then begins to install packages, and I get
prompted to insert the CD.  Say what? it's already in the drive.
Hitting Enter just prompts me again.  I switched consoles and manually
mounted /dev/cdrom on /cdrom, went back to the installer and hit Enter,
and it took it, installed one package, then prompted me for the CD
again.  Repeat the above 3 or 4 times (switch consoles, mount it
manually, switch back, hit Enter).

Then it gets to the big huge list of packages finally, and proceeds to
begin installing those.  I walked off and did other things for a while
to let it run.  I came back to find a dialog box saying the installation
of one or more packages had failed, and when I hit Continue, I got
prompted to insert the CD-ROM again.  This time when I try to mount it,
I get "scsi0 (8:0): rejecting I/O to offline device" and it won't mount.

Then I gave up.

--
  - justdave