Initscripts and tput

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Wed Sep 1 17:12:00 CDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 01:12:08PM +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:

> I think I prefer this alternative though:
>
>    [ -x /usr/bin/tput ] && tput ...
>
> Colour becomes "active" once /usr has been mounted, which is relatively
> early in the boot sequence anyway -- most of the preceding scripts won't
> need OK/FAIL type messages.  And for 95% of installs, this will work
> from script#1 because /usr won't be separately mounted.

Right, the only stuff which happens before mountall.sh is:

S01devfsd
S02mountvirtfs
S04udev
S05bootlogd
S05initrd-tools.sh
S05keymap.sh
S07hdparm
S09scsitools-pre.sh
S10checkroot.sh
S15isapnp
S18hwclockfirst.sh
S18ifupdown-clean
S20module-init-tools
S20modutils
S22scsitools.sh
S25libdevmapper1.00
S25raid2
S27evms
S30checkfs.sh
S30etc-setserial
S30mt-st
S30procps.sh

It's a long list, but there really isn't much to talk about during that
time, and it's the stuff that we want to keep as simple as possible.  I
don't think I mind if it doesn't look fancy, though we might want to quiet
it down a bit.  It would be easy if bootlogd worked reliably. :-/

Thoughts?

--
 - mdz