Initscripts and tput

Scott James Remnant scott at netsplit.com
Wed Sep 1 07:12:08 CDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 23:07 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 01:49:51AM -0400, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
>
> > Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
> >
> > >After a long session hacking initscripts today, I realized that we are
> > >relying on tput to get ansi control characters.  This is not bad except
> > >that tput is in /usr/bin/ and /usr may not be available to use before
> > >mounting filesystems.  There is a couple solutions as i see it:
> > >
> > >1. move tput from /usr/bin to /bin in the terminfo-bin package
> > >2. fall back to hardcoded ansi control characters (may not work on some
> > >strange terminals)
> > >3. other solution...
> > >
> > >What do you think?
> >
> I think my preference is to move tput,

For consistency we should move all of ncurses-bin into /bin ... I
generally dislike moving single binaries just so they're available for
you earlier in the boot process.  I also slightly dislike moving this
many binaries, they don't really belong there.

> though I would also be interested in
> alternatives which allowed for a simplified output format (not involving
> terminal control sequences) for the very early stages of the boot process
> (pre-mountall.sh).

I think I prefer this alternative though:

   [ -x /usr/bin/tput ] && tput ...

Colour becomes "active" once /usr has been mounted, which is relatively
early in the boot sequence anyway -- most of the preceding scripts won't
need OK/FAIL type messages.  And for 95% of installs, this will work
from script#1 because /usr won't be separately mounted.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?