Some points/issues to discuss about the desktop

Mark Shuttleworth mark at hbd.com
Wed Sep 1 15:37:48 CDT 2004

Jeff Waugh wrote:

>>>* Use laptop-detect to choose between two default panel profiles, one of
>>>which has battery+wifi. This might be the best shortcut for Warty.
>>>

>>Many laptops don't have wifi.
>>

>Sure, but right now, this is a simple change which can limit the damage and
>go some way towards delivering what you originally asked for.

I'm happy with the "disabled mode" fallback for the moment, it's the
best option until we have a smarter way of sculpting the default desktop
during install.

In some future release, we should analyse the system and create a
default desktop that reflects what we think the system is capable of
(wifi, battery, sound etc).

>They don't display error dialogues, they just display a 'disabled' mode. The
>wifi applet shows the "not available" icon (which is being changed), the
>battery applet shows an exclamation mark and an empty battery graph (which
>would require code and art to change significantly).

We'll make that exclamation mark icon a "disabled grey". The applet is
easy enough to remove.

Try Debian GNU/Linux. Software freedom for the bold, at www.debian.org
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/