Some points/issues to discuss about the desktop (Wifi+Battery Applets)

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Thu Sep 2 15:47:07 CDT 2004

<quote who="Mark Shuttleworth">

> "startup only" doesn't help. Say we upgrade the kernel, and it breaks ACPI
> or APM. The battery applet, specifically put there by the user, then
> disappears silently on startup. Ouch.

I've explained this a couple of times now... It won't, because the choice to
bail out would be made based on whether it's the *first ever startup of the
environment*. If it's not the *first ever startup of the environment*, it'll
just get on with whatever it's been told to do.

But again, we're not going to do that for Warty, and we'll end up having
time to solve it properly in the future. It was just a solution given for
your requirement when we had time to write code.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

  "Ever since GNOME development began, I have urged people to aim to make
    it as good as the Macintosh. To try to be like Windows is to try for
                      second-best." - Richard Stallman