Ubuntu Core 16 timelines

Jamie Bennett jamie.bennett at canonical.com
Fri Apr 29 17:33:48 UTC 2016

Response in-line below.

On 28/04/16 04:19, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> Manik asked me to clarify my comments on priorities in the push to
> release Ubuntu Core 16, the all-snap version of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.
>
> This is the "GA" of snappy LTS, so it's a critical step for us. I'm
> absolutely convinced that snaps are an important new primitive for
> operations of Ubuntu-based devices of all sorts, and very focused on
> helping our users have a great experience with them. All the feedback
> we've had on snaps has validated the focus on transactional updates,
> rollbacks, and dependency bundling, which is excellent.
>
> What we are debating, and my opinion is part of that debate, is what the
> minimal requirements are for us to have a good GA. We are going as fast
> as we can while maintaining quality, the question is just whether we
> take a little longer to have a more complete GA, or whether we put the
> all-snap Ubuntu Core 16 GA out pretty much immediately, at the risk of
> having a more significant upgrade issue during the life of Ubuntu Core 16.

This is a key point. We don't want to put images out there that our
community will build their solutions on expecting it to be solid,
stable, and unchanging. We are aiming for a solid GA in the coming weeks
but we are not at a point where we can hand-on-heart say things are not
going to change and break you.

For our community of application developers we recommend using snapd on
the desktop which gives a great experience and is available today on
Ubuntu 16.04. For people wanting to flash the latest software on their
devices we will be offering *developer* images some time next week. We
guarantee these will change, will break, and do not contain the full
functionality that will be available in the GA but instead are targeted
at our early adopters who accept this caveat.

I will send a follow-up email next week detailing how to download these.

Regards,
Jamie.