Ubuntu Core 16 timelines

Nathan Haines nhaines at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 28 04:19:24 UTC 2016

On 04/27/2016 08:19 PM, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> What we are debating, and my opinion is part of that debate, is what the
> minimal requirements are for us to have a good GA. We are going as fast
> as we can while maintaining quality, the question is just whether we
> take a little longer to have a more complete GA, or whether we put the
> all-snap Ubuntu Core 16 GA out pretty much immediately, at the risk of
> having a more significant upgrade issue during the life of Ubuntu Core 16.

In my opinion, the same question came up with Ubuntu 6.04 LTS a decade
ago.  In the end, six extra weeks made for a release that everyone could
be proud of, and that commitment to maintaining quality didn't impact
future releases in any detrimental way.  Ubuntu 6.06 LTS was still an
achievement to be proud of.

In the same way, I think that having Ubuntu Core be a curated image
based on 16.04 LTS is a strong foundation.  And if two or four weeks
will make a substantial difference--remembering that manufacturers will
be building appliance-like products on top--it's almost certainly worth
the wait.  Especially since desktop and server Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
developers and users can take advantage of development and deployment
right now.

I'm not much of a developer, but I understand the pressure of deadlines.
  But from over here, the choice looks like one of the easier ones I've
seen.

(And frankly speaking, I finally had a chance to sit and play with
snapcraft last night using LXD and LXC and all of those things were
pretty amazing.)

--
Nathan Haines
Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/