Kernel and Gadget Specification

Yann Sionneau yann.sionneau at parrot.com
Mon Apr 25 12:30:10 UTC 2016

Le 25/04/2016 14:26, Oliver Grawert a écrit :
> hi,
> Am Montag, den 25.04.2016, 07:15 -0500 schrieb Mark Shuttleworth:
>> With snaps on classic Ubuntu I would think we have plenty of opportunity
>> to grow the community playing with snapcraft right now.
>>
>> There's no rush on the pure-snap Ubuntu Core images. Let's iron out any
>> issues with snaps on classic and the snap publication mechanisms. We'll
>> all meet up in two weeks time to go deep on the pieces for Ubuntu Core.
>>
>> I appreciate the desire to start right away with something that won't
>> break, but even the basic Ubuntu Core image needs to do things that
>> should happen in the gadget snap (like hostname setting). Right now, the
>> priority for all of us should be making sure people are not blocked on
>> making snaps for classic systems, because it will take a little while
>> for people to become familiar with snapcraft etc. We have time on Ubuntu
>> Core.
> well, there are people that try to evaluate snappy for their IoT or
> embedded products, with 15.04 going out of business soon it doesn't
> really make sense to point them to the old stuff, but we also do not
> provide any new image either.
>
> i understand that on the snap userspace side we are API stable, what is
> there works and we will only see missing features come back (classic
> mode, config interface etc). in that light i think it might make sense
> to give people some images to work with even if we tell them gadget and
> kernel might change and they need to re-flash ...
>
> imho we should release something based on 16 with the disclaimer that
> the images themselves will still see some massive change but that you
> have something to try your snaps on in a real world environment.
>
> ciao
> 	oli

I totally agree with that.
I am working on integrating Ubuntu-core (16.04 / all snaps) on IoT
(quadcopter drone) and I would like to have something to play with, even
if I need to reflash in the future because of some change.
It's not a problem to reflash/refactor code, but it's a problem if you
are stuck on the other hand.

Thanks!

Regards,

--