Kernel and Gadget Specification

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 25 12:26:44 UTC 2016

hi,
Am Montag, den 25.04.2016, 07:15 -0500 schrieb Mark Shuttleworth:
> With snaps on classic Ubuntu I would think we have plenty of opportunity
> to grow the community playing with snapcraft right now.
>
> There's no rush on the pure-snap Ubuntu Core images. Let's iron out any
> issues with snaps on classic and the snap publication mechanisms. We'll
> all meet up in two weeks time to go deep on the pieces for Ubuntu Core.
>
> I appreciate the desire to start right away with something that won't
> break, but even the basic Ubuntu Core image needs to do things that
> should happen in the gadget snap (like hostname setting). Right now, the
> priority for all of us should be making sure people are not blocked on
> making snaps for classic systems, because it will take a little while
> for people to become familiar with snapcraft etc. We have time on Ubuntu
> Core.

well, there are people that try to evaluate snappy for their IoT or
embedded products, with 15.04 going out of business soon it doesn't
really make sense to point them to the old stuff, but we also do not
provide any new image either.

i understand that on the snap userspace side we are API stable, what is
there works and we will only see missing features come back (classic
mode, config interface etc). in that light i think it might make sense
to give people some images to work with even if we tell them gadget and
kernel might change and they need to re-flash ...

imho we should release something based on 16 with the disclaimer that
the images themselves will still see some massive change but that you
have something to try your snaps on in a real world environment.

ciao
	oli