Addition and modification of users

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 1 08:39:56 UTC 2015

hi,
Am Montag, den 31.08.2015, 17:59 +0000 schrieb Andreas Schmidl:

> Nevertheless if I try to create a new user it will end with the
> following error:
> ----------
> (BeagleBoneBlack)ubuntu at sn-client-08:/var/lib/extrausers$ sudo adduser
> testuser
> Adding user `testuser' ...
> Adding new group `testuser' (1001) ...
> groupadd: cannot lock /etc/group; try again later.
> adduser: `/usr/sbin/groupadd -g 1001 testuser' returned error code 10.
> Exiting.
> -----------
>
> Is this a bug in snappy ubuntu core? Is there a different way to add
> users and edit existing ones? Apart from using a tool for these tasks
> I know that it's possible to manually edit group, passwd, ... but I
> think that's a bad approach.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1323732 has the details, there is still
an SRU outstanding for 15.04 (and feedback from debian is missing too),
the fix is in the rolling (15.10 based) images already ...

sadly currently the only quick hack would indeed be to hack the
(extrausers) files directly ...

ciao
	oli