classic mode (v1)

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Tue Nov 24 17:38:31 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> We've been using the overlayfs for a decade in the live-cd, I suspect
> Pitti has a clear view on what works and what doesn't, and whether
> upstream cares, or whether we've cared enough to fix it in the past too.

I very much believe so, which is why I'm asking for information. Why do we
trust our live CD to it but do not for the classic environment? What's
special about dist-upgrade that makes it work in some cases, but not others?

Unreliability comes for a reason, and unless we understand what the reason
is, it quickly becomes fear, uncertainty, and doubt, in its purest sense.
The consequence is that everybody that is part of this conversation will
start to avoid overlays without understanding why they're doing that.

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net