New image organization and snap format

Gustavo Niemeyer gustavo.niemeyer at canonical.com
Wed Nov 11 18:26:13 UTC 2015

This is (perhaps) the last major change which I'd like to raise attention
to, and it's perhaps one of the most disruptive and exciting ones too.

In the coming weeks we'll be landing relevant changes related to how the
ubuntu core image itself is organized, and also to the packaged format of
snaps. The new format is not backwards compatible, but there are relevant
benefits that will become apparent as that work lands and unrolls. Michael
Vogt is leading these changes for quite some time now, and we're expecting
them to become visible in the following weeks.

We apologize in advance for disruptions, but please bear with us. It'll be
worthwhile.

Thank you!

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net