Metadata clean up

Jamie Strandboge jamie at canonical.com
Wed Nov 11 18:19:21 UTC 2015

On 11/11/2015 11:40 AM, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> We've recently worked heavily on snapcraft to push its behavior and used
> metadata to be more aligned with the plans for 16.04, and that work is almost
> complete. It's now time to look at some of the output of snapcraft to see how
> much it is aligned with these plans. Currently we have two different metadata
> files that are shipping within the snap: a package.yaml file, and a json
> manifest which was inherited from the clickdeb days. The store currently looks
> at the json file only, and snappy currently looks mainly at package.yaml, but
> does use (and hacks it!) the json manifest in some of the security support
> inherited from clickdeb. The plan which is already in progress is to replace
> package.yaml with a file that looks a lot like it, called snap.yaml, and to get
> rid of the json manifest altogether.

Actually, the store looks at both the package.yaml and the click compat json. If
it is a snap, it looks at package.yaml almost exclusively (mostly except where
it needs to make sure the two are in sync).

> This will be rolled out in four phases:
>
> 1. Snapcraft ships snap.yaml as a copy of package.yaml
> 2. We hack snap.yaml until it aligns with the 16.04 plans
> 3. We change the store and snappy to look at snap.yaml
> 4. We remove package.yaml and the json manifest altogether

FYI, the click compat and security json removal is very far along and close to
merging. I figured when that was merged I'd adjust the review tools accordingly
(ie, there are a lot of cleanups to be made if the click compatibility is gone).
This sorta is called out as phase 4, but I think it can be done much sooner than
that. Obviously, the other snap.yaml metadata changes we can adjust as needed in
phase 4.