Files OS Snap provides

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 5 12:59:32 UTC 2015

On 05/11/15 13:03, Alexander Sack wrote:
> Much better is to align LXD and core first (as both are kernel-less
> rootfs'es) and then see how we can derive the other images from there
> with at minimal changes.

+1

> The manifest of server is an installer image and doesn't even have ssh
> etc., so its a bad starting point for finding a good base to
> consolidate around ...

Just being an "installer image" doesn't make a difference; what do you
expect to get on AWS if it's not the same as "what I would get if I
installed it on a machine locally myself"?

SSH is a great example of where we have identified an issue and fixed it
but only done that on part of the estate; we realised that we need SSH
there but also that we don't want it turned on, so we figured out how to
have it installed but not on by default (with a way to turn it on if you
want) but then we only implemented that in PART of the Ubuntu
experience. Doh.

So now we're going to DTRT which is have that same *value* everywhere;
SSH will in on the disk by default and there will be a way to *turn it
on* with an appropriate user account and access keys. And we'll take
that great experience *everywhere*.

I do appreciate this means more work, but the result is a multiplier;
our WHOLE product and brand get stronger, and that means we all win.
Solving these problems in a silo just amplifies the perception in our
users minds that we are siloed.

Mark