Files OS Snap provides

John Lenton john.lenton at canonical.com
Thu Nov 5 09:52:40 UTC 2015

On 5 November 2015 at 07:58, Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> In the devel series we are free to add or remove files to the OS snap at
> will. In the stable series, if it's there it will stay there and people
> can use it.

So, the situation we're in *today* is that when somebody asks whether
they can count on, say, python3 being there, we don't have a clear cut
answer to give them. We're working to not depend on python3 for snappy
itself in the short term, and aim to make it unnecessary in core
snappy in the medium term, but haven't been able to make promises one
way or another.

Having a clear-cut “if it's in stable, and your snap is for stable,
then things will work, but we can add or remove stuff to unstable --
and that'll be the next stable -- so if you need your snap to work
there, we promise nothing” is certainly better than where we are
today, but it's still rather rubbish for the app developer.

Changing that to “if it's in stable it'll stay, and here is the
minimum list of things we promise not to take away ever” is a step up
from that, I think.