RFC: Snappy shell

Nathan Haines nhaines at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 18 10:19:51 UTC 2015

On 06/18/2015 03:06 AM, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> Imagine that every snap can provide a terminal shell command. The
> mythical "comfy" framework snap could thus provide a traditional shell,
> other snaps can provide CLI environments suitable for them. So if I
> install an ICOS snap, I can say something like:

I was pondering much the same basic idea.  I'd sort of like a bash shell
by default, but it does seem like a per-snap CLI would be really nifty.

That way I get my comfy Linux shell that I've been using for two
decades, but an Ubuntu Core router could have an IOS style shell, or a
home automation unit could have some really easy to use shell for
turning on the kitchen lights or displaying the interior temperature.
All the better if it's the default experience but optional.

And that's one of the really compelling strengths of having modular
snaps that fit into Ubuntu Core after all: task and application
independence.

--
Nathan Haines
Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/