RFC: Snappy shell

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at canonical.com
Tue Jun 16 14:55:04 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 3:44 AM, Loïc Minier <loic.minier at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Snappy shell needs not be required for all snappy based images and/or needs
> not be on port 22, it is rather an optional interface to snappy, much like
> webdm is an useful tool and default web user experience. (Perhaps it should
> be implemented as a completely separate addon, but it felt more natural to
> tie it to the main command-line tool.) Perhaps we'll have a snappy router
> image where it makes sense to make this shell the default, with or without
> direct shell access enabled, while a snappy media-center image would not
> have it.

What if it worked more like a database client, like mysql or psql?

You run the "snappy connect ubuntu at host" locally, and the binary runs
locally, sending commands and receiving responses to the target host
over SSL.

That seems cleaner, and nicer than running a shell on the host.

Dustin Kirkland
Canonical, Ltd.