Snappy RPi2 stable image #3 now available

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 15 10:34:59 UTC 2015

hi,
Am Samstag, den 13.06.2015, 11:54 +0200 schrieb Niklas Wenzel:
> Am Do, 11. Jun, 2015 um 8:27 schrieb Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com>:
> > Since the Pi is not officially supported, you will have to re-flash
> > the new image to use it (there is no upgrade path for devices not
> > officially on the system-image server currently).
>
> May I ask an unpleasant question?
>

> Some time ago there was an article [1] on insights.ubuntu.com stating
> the following:
>

> > Thanks to a very successful collaboration between the Raspberry Pi
> > Foundation and Canonical […] we are pleased to announce that Snappy
> > Ubuntu Core is available for the Raspberry Pi 2, the latest
> > Raspberry Pi family member.
> > […]
> > Raspberry Pi 2 will be one of the recommended platforms for Snappy
> > Ubuntu Core
>

> Contrary to what I hear on this list all the time, the article clearly
> implies that the Raspberry Pi is officially supported. Hearing that it
> still isn't after more than four months, is really disappointing for
> one who bought the Pi for only one reason: running Snappy Ubuntu Core
> on it.

no, it says it is "recommended" ... and many of us snappy developers
actually use one ...

officially supported devices need to be served from Ubuntus
linux-generic package and should have a supported bootloader in the
archive ...

while the RPi work is slowly flowing upstream into the mainline tree it
is still not completely there ... the same goes for u-boot. until these
bits are solved you wont find an "official" RPi image on the
system-image server. the current work on kernel and bootloader is done
by paolo pisati from the ubuntu kernel team in his spare time, the image
is built by me in my spare time and was initially brought up by loic and
michael frey...

it is a community maintained image even though most maintainers work for
canonical in this scenario ... once all bits and pieces are in the
respective mainline branches i suspect we will also get officially
supported images on the system-image server (or in the snap store after
we moved snappy away from system-image one day).

and with that said, it would actually be cool to have more community
people involved into maintaining this community image (hint hint) ;)

ciao
	oli