Documentation on the images structure/how to debug invalid builds?

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at canonical.com
Wed Jun 10 18:58:02 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 09:58:43AM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 09.06.2015, 13:38 -0700 schrieb Steve Langasek:
> >  This is not the same format as the output of a
> > Launchpad livefs build - those images must be post-processed to match the
> > format used by system-image.

> if you refer to the added directories that the s-i server creates, I
> moved their creation to livecd-rootfs recently.

I'm not sure what directories you're referring to.  The issue I'm talking
about is that the directory layout for a rootfs produced by livecd-rootfs is
completely different from what's produced by system-image, because
system-image places the entire system tree in an additional system/
subdirectory.

Historically we didn't do this layout conversion in livecd-rootfs because we
didn't assume that system-image would be the only consumer of this tarball.
(And also because, as mentioned, the compression and delta generation meant
it wasn't necessarily going to optimize the pipeline.)  Now, it might be a
reasonable change to make - as long as we do it in a way that's
backwards-compatible for other livecd-rootfs builds.