BBB+snappy: customizing dtb/hardware

Paolo Pisati paolo.pisati at canonical.com
Mon Feb 9 09:01:37 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 07, 2015 at 12:08:48PM -0500, Winston Smith wrote:
>    1) What are the steps for customizing the hardware (e.g. 4 UARTS + a
>    couple of GPIO pins), note I already have a working dtbo overlay for the
>    hardware config, I just need to figure out how to apply it.

rcnelson kernel tree for snappy is available here:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ppisati/ubuntu-vivid.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/snappy_beagle_3.8

to get a working kernel, apply the kconfig fragments and compile as usual:

$ ARCH=arm ./scripts/kconfig/merge_config.sh arch/arm/configs/YOURCONFIG_defconfig arch/arm/configs/snappy/*.config

In case you built your own board (IOW you hardware won't change again in the
future), a complete dtb that works with mainline is always the preferred
solution.

>    2) Are there any instructions on building a BBB/snappy image from scratch
>    (I've seen the "porting snappy" blog post, but that relies on a "pre
>    built" devices.tar.xz & kernel).

something like this?

https://ograblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/25/porting-ubuntu-snappy-to-a-yet-unsupported-armhf-board/

--