BeagleBone Black images keep getting corrupted

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at canonical.com
Tue Apr 28 22:27:21 UTC 2015

Hi Gábor,

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 10:47:48PM +0200, Gábor Paller wrote:
> Why is the boot partition mounted writable to start with?

Because this is the place where we have a writable space shared between the
OS and the bootloader that we can use to tell whether a boot was successful.
Without this, it's impossible to implement automatic fallback on failed boot
because there's no way to know that a boot was attempted but failed.

With a recent image, /boot should certainly be mounted 'sync' as mentioned.
If you're using the current 15.04 image and it's not, it's a bug.  If it is
mounted 'sync' and you're still seeing corruption, that's a different bug.