A Snappy Gumstix Overo

Sergio Schvezov sergio.schvezov at canonical.com
Sun Apr 26 22:49:32 UTC 2015

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Ash Charles <ashcharles at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Alexander,
>
> Great to hear from you---long time no talk indeed :).
>
> I submitted the snap here:
> https://myapps.developer.ubuntu.com/dev/click-apps/2476/
> (FWIW, when I build the package, click-review gets angry and says
> "(MANUAL REVIEW) type 'oem' not allowed").

This just means that we require manual review on the store for oem packages
because they are not confined by default.

> On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Alexander Sack <asac at canonical.com>
> wrote:
> > oh i forgot in my other mail to explain that signing happens through
> > uploading to store! Is pretty trivial for you as you reuse our
> > official enablement/kernel and just have a custom dtb and bootloader.
> Is 'flashtool-assets' totally superseded by oem packages?  I got hung
> up on this when I first started playing around.

oem packages are what you want, we have killed flashtool-assets with this
generic way of enabling oems to wok with the ubuntu kernels in a way that
enables them to focus on what matters to them, feel free to log bug reports
(or reply here) with anything you think will make or would have made the
oem enablement part a better experience for you.

> Being able to use a stock kernel made it really easy. I actually
> tested out a custom kernel too as some patches for our latest wireless
> chip (Wilink8) aren't yet mainlined but packing/unpacking the ramdisk
> got to be a pain.
> What is the best source for the ramdisk? The snappy-device-builder
> grabs [1], adds the custom kernel, and then re-packs for use as
> "--device-part"
>
> [1]
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-core/daily-preinstalled/current/vivid-preinstalled-core-armhf.device.tar.gz
>
> <snip>
> > this is a cool showcase how to 'freeride' our officially supported
> > enablement by just providing your board specifics in oem snap. Thanks
> > for this! Should be similarly trivial for plenty other boards like
> > panda beagleboard etc...
> And DuoVero (OMAP4 like panda) and Pepper (AM335x like beaglebone)
> hehehe...
> <snip>
> > We don't have an overo in our teams. 20 seconds sounds a bit too long,
> > but not sure how the IO is on overo. If you want to debug you find us
> > on #snappy on freenode as well!
> Cool--thanks. I've found that SD cards vary widely in performance so I
> may try loading the initrd from NAND just to test.

True, the biggest boot slowness I think I've seen was networking not being
available, if you can confirm that it would be great.