A Snappy Gumstix Overo

Alexander Sack asac at canonical.com
Sun Apr 26 16:40:10 UTC 2015

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 1:48 AM, Ash Charles <ashcharles at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In looking at the release info for Vivid earlier this week, I first
> read about Snappy Core---it sounded rather cool--cool enough that I
> thought it be fun to try it on a Gumstix board :). I put together an
> OEM snap (unsigned...how does one go about signing it?) and a dd'able
> image for Gumstix Overo in case anyone else wants to give it a go.

oh i forgot in my other mail to explain that signing happens through
uploading to store! Is pretty trivial for you as you reuse our
official enablement/kernel and just have a custom dtb and bootloader.

> For dd'ing (compressed 4GB image):
>  $ wget http://gumstix-snappy.s3.amazonaws.com/overo.img.xz
>  $ xz -d overo.img.xz
>  $ sudo dd if=overo.img of=<your-drive-here> bs=4k
>
> For just the snap (much smaller download)
>  $ wget http://gumstix-snappy.s3.amazonaws.com/overo.snap
>  $ sudo ubuntu-device-flash core -o overo.img --oem=overo.snap
> --developer-mode 15.04
> Then dd it!.
>
> The image has a custom MLO and u-boot but uses the default kernel
> explicitly assuming the 'omap3-overo-storm-tobi.dtb' (can be changed

this is a cool showcase how to 'freeride' our officially supported
enablement by just providing your board specifics in oem snap. Thanks
for this! Should be similarly trivial for plenty other boards like
panda beagleboard etc...

> in uEnv.txt as needed).  I see a long (say, 20 second pause) after the
> 'Starting Kernel...' line (I assume because the initrd takes a while

We don't have an overo in our teams. 20 seconds sounds a bit too long,
but not sure how the IO is on overo. If you want to debug you find us
on #snappy on freenode as well!

> to load) but then the boot continues properly.  A quick
>  $ ssh ubuntu at overo.local
>  # sudo snappy install xkcd-webserver
>  later and I can happily browse xkcd comics by visiting
> http://overo.local on the local network.
>
> If you happen to have a Gumstix Overo and give this a whirl (or even
> if you don't :) ), I'd love any feedback or suggestions---I whipped
> this together with very little knowledge of Snappy core so I'm sure
> there is lots to improve.

Let us know if you need anything. Great thing this is!