Having some trouble installing Snappy Ubuntu

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 24 05:36:08 UTC 2015

On 24/10/15 14:14, Werner Terreblanche wrote:
> Also, while I'm here with the rest of the Snappy experts...    the reason
> why I want to try Snappy is because I've developed an app which currently
> can run on Rasbian and X86 Ubuntu.      I thought it would be cool to get
> it to work with Snappy Ubuntu.   However the things I'm a bit unsure
> of.....     will I be able to do things like "aplay" and espeak.   As I
> understand it, Snappy does not support the apt-get method, so does that
> mean its not possible to install apps like espeak at all?

With snappy, you'll bundle all the dependencies (like aplay and espeak)
into a single "snap" and ship that as a single thing. That way, changes
from us don't interfere with your application at all. The easiest way to
do that is with a tool called snapcraft, take a look at that first then
feel free to ask more questions here!

One thing to be aware of; snappy is designed to stop applications from
peeking at things that haven't been explicitly given to them, even if
they are running as root. So if you need access to hardware, you'll need
to say so explicitly in your snap. You'll definitely want a hand with
that part, join one of the snappy clinics. We're working on a tool which
will automatically advise you what permissions you need to allocate your
snap, and also to make hardware management easier.

But, once you get all those details squared away, snappy means you ship
what you want when you want it, no matter what happens to any
dependencies you count on.

Mark